top of page

Starting/Restarting your training in your 40s? Here’s how!

So you're in your 40s, haven't worked out in a while or at all and you've noticed that your body and movement isn't quite as spry as it once was. But that doesn't mean you can't turn a new page...besides 40 is the new 25!


Now although there's no time like the present, January (new year, new me) traditionally signifies the time to get your health and fitness back on track, and there are plenty of ways to do it.


So here's some health and training tips to start your path to living the next chapter of your life as a much happier and healthier you!


1. Ease in with any form of movement!


Your "training" doesn't need to be so intense because you've now decided it's time to make a change. Remember, success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.


Prioritise some movement to get you started. That could be making a commitment to 10k steps a day or a going on a bike ride. Don't get me wrong, weight training is important to keep you strong, stable and fight against diseases like osteoporosis and many more but the most important thing is movement. And you can add little things like taking the stairs instead of the lift, or an extra loop around the block with your dog to help you get a bit more movement in your life.


2. Get a "REAL" trainer.


Once your body's got used to some movement and feeling ready to take on a bit more of an all round training experience then it's time to seek real professional help. I say real because we live in the era of the "Insta trainer" where videos of topless guys and bikini clad knowledgeless individuals are promoting their videos of "training" which frankly do nothing and are purely designed to get views and likes.


Do your homework and make sure whoever you go with ticks what your looking for and can back it up with some testimonials and good reviews.


3. Remember, it takes time to see results.


"I know I've eaten badly and not moved a muscle in months but I've worked out and eaten clean for a whole week! Why don't I look different?!" Sound familiar?...


It will take weeks or even months to see the results of your hard work. Stay focused, stay motivated and keep working hard. You will get there! And once you see the results, staying motivated and focused is even easier.


Also try to avoid the scales. Especially if they are simple just weight scales. Your

body does incredible things on a daily basis and will therefore change every hour of the day. So if you live by scales daily you might find you start losing your mind and motivation.


4. You can't outwork bad nutrition.


Fun fact. An Oreo is 52 calories. Now if you're anything like me, (greedy little binge artist) you can probably polish a pack in 8-15mins. That's 780 calories in 15 minutes. On average it can take a man or women anywhere between 1hr to 1.5hr to burn that number of calories off!


So what am I trying to say? Well first, try not to binge like an idiot, like me! And second, You can't out train a bad diet. Now I'm not saying you need to eat like a rabbit and have no fun. I'm just saying, focus 80 percent of your weekly nutrition on good lower calorie dense meals which means your meals can be bigger with a focus on your vegetables, lean proteins, and good carbohydrates which will keep you fuller for longer. The other 20 percent can be for a drink or two, takeaway or a dirty little Oreo binge!


5. Take time to rest and recover.


Finally, your body needs time to rest and recover in between whatever type of training you're doing. Make sure you’re getting enough sleep each night and make time for activities that help to reduce stress, such as yoga or meditation. Let's be real, it will probably be a new Netflix series.

 

In conclusion these 5 simple tips will help to get you started or back on track with your health and fitness this year. With a little dedication, hard work and a plan, you’ll be seeing the results in no time.


If you want more Information on how to get going then get in touch with our team for a chat.

49 views0 comments
bottom of page